While Christmas is over, there’s no need to hibernate until spring – there’s plenty to explore during the winter months. Wrap up warm and get ready to discover a whole new side to Cornwall.
One of the best things about winter adventures is that feeling you get when you come inside after a bracing walk. Whether you choose to indulge in a divine hot chocolate at a cosy beachside café or some hearty pub fare beside a roaring fire, you’ll be spoiled for choice.
Here are our top ten recommendations for a weekend winter getaway in Cornwall.
- Go wave watching on the north coast and marvel at the skills of the pro surfers.
- Dig out your hiking books and go for a walk. Take a look at the South West Coast Path website for some suggestions for great winter walks in Cornwall.
- Discover a different side to Cornwall’s gardens. While they’re undoubtedly at their best in the spring, Cornwall’s sub-tropical climate means many plants keep flowering much later than in other parts of the UK, and there’s still lots to see in winter. Trebah is particularly interesting to visit in the winter, and Glendurgan and Heligan are great to visit all year round.
- Plan a dog friendly holiday and explore Cornwall’s beaches with your four-legged friend. Dogs are welcome on most beaches until Easter, and if you head off the beaten track you might even find your own private stretch of sand.
- Get on your bike and enjoy crowd-free cycling. Try the Camel Trail or the Bissoe Trail, or go off-road at Lanhydrock or Cardinham Woods.
- Try ice skating at the the Eden Project. The ice rink at Eden is a winter wonderland and an experience not to be missed. There are sessions for everyone from toddlers to experienced skaters.
- Enjoy a foodie break in Cornwall. From atmospheric country pubs to renowned restaurants run by celebrity chefs, Cornwall is a food-lover’s paradise.
- Get out with your camera. From frost-covered moorland to stormy seas, Cornwall shows a different side to its character in the winter.
- Have a romantic weekend away. Why wait until Valentine’s Day to whisk your loved one away for a special break in Cornwall? Think long walks hand in hand on the beach, snuggling up with a glass of wine in front of a roaring fire or slipping away to be pampered in a spa…
- Try something different and visit one of Cornwall’s underground attractions, like Carnglaze Caverns or Geevor Tin Mine.
Ready to plan your next weekend away in Cornwall? Take a look at our availability calendar to find out more and book your perfect break.